Generally, a non-immigrant Visa is required by anyone seeking temporary admission into the United States who is not eligible to travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program, or is exempt from the visa requirement.
Non-immigrant visas cover visits for tourism, business, work or study.
The U.S. Visa application process can take several weeks and sometime even months depending on how quickly you can get an appointment at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate.
For this reason, it is recommended that you start the application process as early as possible.
Your first step to get a U.S. Visa, should be to complete the online Visa application.
In this phase, you will ask to complete Form DS- 160.
Once you have electronically submitted your DS-160 online application, you are required to contact the US embassy or consulate (in your home country) at which you wish to apply to confirm whether you need to be interviewed by a consular officer, and to schedule an interview.
You will need the following before you start filling DS 160 form for a U.S. Visa:
- Digital photograph of applicant in a specific format;
- You must know which consulate you will be appearing for interview;
- Passport details (Name as on passport, date of birth, issue date, expiration date, passport number, etc.) of each applicant;
- Family information of applicant (Name of parents of each applicant, occupation, mailing address, work address, income, etc.);
- Address where you will stay in USA;
- Date of most recent travel to US, if any.
Keep in mind that it can take 15-40 minutes of your time to complete the application, and since the application must be completed online, you must have a reliable internet connection.
You can temporarily save your application on the website itself.
If you plan to be away from the online application for more than 20 minutes, please save your application permanently to a file on your local computer.