American Technology Companies hiring Canadian or Mexican nationals may also use a special visa created under NAFTA called the TN (Treaty NAFTA) visa. This visa is also appropriate for companies experiencing emergent needs as it can be obtained in a matter of days, rather than months.

However, there are several disadvantages to the TN visa compared to the H-1B. For one thing, the visa must be renewed each year with a demonstration that the employment need is temporary.

Also, the professional cannot directly pursue Permanent Residence. In order to do so, the professional must first change status to H-1B and then file for Permanent Residence.

But, again as a short term solution, the TN remains a valuable option. The TN visa requires a college degree of several years of experience in the field.