If you meet certain requirements, you may become a U.S. citizen either at birth or after birth.
To become a citizen at birth, you must:
Have been born in the United States or certain territories or outlying possessions of the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction of the United States; OR
had a parent or parents who were citizens at the time of your birth (if you were born abroad) and meet other requirements
To become a citizen after birth, you must:
- Apply for “derived” or “acquired” citizenship through parents
- Apply for naturalization
For more information, see USCIS Policy Manual Citizenship and Naturalization Guidance.
What are the requirements to file Form N-400?
N-400 instructions. General Eligibility Requirements.
You may apply for naturalization when you meet all the requirements to become a U.S. citizen.
General eligibility requirements are the following:
1. You are at least 18 years of age at the time of filing (except active duty members of the U.S. Armed Forces);
2. You are a permanent resident of the United States for a required period of time;
3. You have lived within the state or USCIS district where you claim residence for at least 3 months prior to filing;
4. You have demonstrated physical presence within the United States for a required period of time;
5. You have demonstrated continuous residence for a required period of time;
6. You demonstrate good moral character;
7. You demonstrate an attachment to the principles and ideals of the U.S. Constitution;
8. You demonstrate a basic knowledge of U.S. history and government (also known as “civics”) as well as an ability to read, write, speak and understand basic English; and
9. You take an Oath of Allegiance to the United States. Some applicants may be eligible for a modified oath
What is the N-400 processing time? Uscis n-400 processing time
Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, is used to apply for U.S. citizenship. In fact, through this process, people born outside the United States become U.S. citizens.
The majority of applicants are at least 18 years old and fall into one of the following basic eligibility requirements:
- Have been a permanent resident for the past 5 years, or
- Currently married to and living with a U.S. Citizen and have been married to and living with that same U.S. citizen for the past 3 years, or
- Currently serving in the U.S. Armed Forces (or will be filing your application within 6 months of an honorable discharge) and have served for at least 1 year.
CASE STATUS ONLINE. File Online
Log in to File OnlineBy filing online you can submit and view certain benefit requests, receive electronic notification of decisions, and receive real-time case status updates.
Online filing with USCIS allows you to:
- Conveniently and securely set up and manage your account when submitting applications, petitions, or requests;
- Electronically submit applications, petitions, or requests and supporting documents;
- Receive and respond to notices and decisions electronically;
- Make payments online (such as filing fees, biometric services fees, or the USCIS Immigrant Fee); and
- Access real-time information about the status of your cases.
n-400 tracker https://t.co/8FRt8ykqTR
— IMM_AMM (@IMM_AMM) 25 de diciembre de 2016