What to do if your Green Card expired? —

Visit us and Contact with an Immigration Lawyer Now!. Call us now! +1 (917) 994-9118

Immigration Attorney - Deportation Defense - Law Firm in New York and New Jersey

Immigration Law Firm in New York

Call us for more information! +1 (917) 994-9118

If you are a permanent resident of the U.S. (not a conditional resident), your status does not expire; you are a green card holder for life (or until you do something that causes your residence rights to be taken away, such as being deported for committing a crime, or abandoning your residency.

Even so, the physical green card that proves your U.S. residence does expire, every ten years. If you are a permanent resident with a 10-year green card expired or that will expire within the next 6 months, you should begin the green card renewal process.

The application process requires filling out and submitting USCIS Form I-90.  The form is available at your local USCIS office, by mail from 800-870-3676, or on the I-90 page of the USCIS website. You can also submit this form online, through the USCIS system known as ELIS.

There is a fee for this application, which you will need to pay. In early 2015 this fee was $450, but you can check the USCIS website at any time for the latest fees.

Furthermore, after submitting your renewal application, you will be called in for a biometrics appointment at the ASC – USCIS Application Support Center.

At this point, your fingerprints will then be checked with an FBI database. If any criminal records are found during the background checks, you could be subject to deportation from the U.S. and lose your Green Card.


Form i 246. Application for a stay of deportation. i-246 - BIA Stay of Removal | Criminal Immigration Lawyer

Immigration interview questions for married couples. Green card interview experience NYC
What are the most common immigration interview questions?
Criminal Immigration Lawyer - Deportation Defense Attorney - Law Firm in New York and New Jersey