Which cases may I appeal? —

Visit us and Contact with an Immigration Lawyer Now!

Immigration Law Firm in New York

Call us for more information! +1 (917) 994-9118

Civil, criminal, bankruptcy, and immigration cases may be appealed in Federal Court. Annually, the eleven United States Courts of Appeals decide hundreds of cases.

Civil litigation cases involve legal disputes between two or more parties (private citizens or companies). Civil cases are not about breaking a criminal law, and involve private interests.

New Jersey Lawyer has only 30 days to file your notice of appeal. Some civil cases are decided by judges or by commissioners (family law or juvenile cases). Others are decided by juries, where it is necessary that at least 9 out of the 12 jurors agree on the verdict.

Some civil and administrative cases cannot be appealed.

The judge or jury has to make a decision about which side wins, based on a standard called “preponderance of the evidence”. This means that, if you win, your side of the story is more believable than the other’s.

There are many different kinds of cases in civil court:

  • Contract disputes, breach of contract, damage to property, trespassing on another person’s land
  • Landlord and tenant cases
  • Enforcement of foreign judgments
  • Family law cases (divorce, child custody, and adoptions)
  • Probate cases and wills
  • Juvenile delinquency cases

A criminal case is a lawsuit brought by the State against 1 or more defendants, who have broken a criminal law. The State in represented by the district attorney (called “DA“).

To convict a defendant, the jury must be unanimous, so all 12 jurors must agree on the verdict. Any defendant has a constitutional right to be represented by a criminal defense attorney.

You may appeal or make a motion for post-conviction relief to have the verdict overturned, a sentence reduced, or a new trial ordered. Criminal defendants have a Constitutional right to appeal. You may generally appeal the conviction within 60 days of the verdict.

You must prove that the court made a damaging error in deciding your case (i.e. evidence of using unconstitutional means or giving the jury improper instructions).

There are three main categories of criminal cases, classified by the seriousness of the offense and the amount of punishment:

  • Infractions(i.e. violating speed limits in school zones, improperly disposing of garbage or trash): minor violations and often the punishment is having to pay a fine, which can be paid without even going to court
  • Misdemeanors(i.e. shoplifting): for which the maximum sentence is 12 months or less in jail and/or fines up to $1,000
  • Felonies(murder, kidnapping, rape): which are the most serious classification of crimes, punishable by incarceration of more than 1 year, and in some cases life in prison without parole or even execution.

Anyone convicted of a felony also loses some civil rights, including the right to bear arms and even, in some States, the right to vote.

Federal courts have exclusive jurisdiction over bankruptcy cases. Bankruptcy cases cannot be filed in State Court.

The 94 federal judicial districts handle bankruptcy matters, and in almost all districts, bankruptcy cases are filed in the bankruptcy Court.

There are four main categories of bankruptcy cases provided under the law:

  • Non-business bankruptcy cases, Straight bankruptcy or liquidation (Chapter 7)
  • Business reorganization (Chapter 11)
  • Exclusively to adjust the debts of a family farmer or family fisherman (Chapter 12)
  • Debt adjustment (Chapter 13)
  • Cross-border cases (Chapter 15)

The USCIS Administrative Appeals Office (AAO) hears cases like denials of employment-based or temporary workers petitions, denials of re-entry permit applications, or revocation of approvals of immigrant visa petitions filed by immigration lawyers on behalf of their clients.

In most cases, if the AAO affirms the lower decision, then you can still appeal in the local U.S. District Courts.

Some decisions, such as those on family-based visa petitions, denials of applications for relief from removal, are appealed to the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA), part of the U.S. Department of Justice. In most cases, if the BIA affirms the lower court’s decision, then you can still appeal in the U.S. Court of Appeals.

Under authority that the Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has delegated to USCIS, AAO exercise appellate jurisdiction over approximately 50 different immigration case types. Not every type of denied immigration benefit request may be appealed, and some appeals fall under the jurisdiction of the BIA.

These are several types of lawsuits and situations that may warrant representation. If there were obvious errors that changed the outcome of the case, you should consult with an appellate attorney who have expertise in appeals, as you only have between 30 and 60 days to file a motion to appeal.

Criminal Appeal Lawyers


[popunder-popup id="1"]

Immigration interview questions for married couples. Green card interview experience NYC
Immigration Blog | Blog di Simone Bertollini - Leggi il Blog dell’avvocato Simone Bertollini di New York per le domande più frequenti sui visti USA, la Green Card, e le ultime notizie sulla tanto attesa riforma d’immigrazione.
New York Immigration Lawyer | Dual Citizenship Attorney in New York - Simone Bertollini is an immigration attorney with offices in New York and New Jersey. He handles investor and work Visas, family Green Card, waivers, and complex deportation defense cases, including appeals. Mr. Bertollini has been selected in the Rising Stars list of the Super Lawyers magazine every year since 2015.
Visto H3 Stati Uniti | Visto H-3 per training in USA | Avvocato a New York - Il visto H3 può essere concesso in casi dove viene offerto un training in USA che non è disponibile all’estero e che non genererà lavoro produttivo.
Visto I per giornalisti | Visto USA | Avvocato a New York - Il visto I è riservato a giornalisti e membri di televisioni estere che si recano negli Stati Uniti per conto della loro testata giornalistica o emittente televisiva ai fini di riportare notizie, condurre interviste, reportage, documentari, e altri progetti di natura giornalistica.
Visto J1 Stati Uniti | Visto J-1 Programma di scambio | Avvocato New York - Il visto J1 è per coloro che si recano negli Stati Uniti per un programma di scambio culturale, e permette di lavorare fino a 18 mesi.
Visto L1 | Visto L-1 per trasferimento societario | Avvocato a New York - Il visto L1 permette ad aziende multinazionali con filiali negli Stati Uniti e all’estero di trasferire managers o dipendenti specializzati per tre anni. In genere, solo medio-grandi aziende hanno i requisiti per ottenere un visto L1, mentre le aziende più piccole possono optare per visti investitore E1 o E2.
Visto O1 | Visto O-1 per straordinarie abilità | Avvocato a New York - Il visto O1 è riservato a persone di straordinarie abilità, come chi abbia ricevuto premi, menzioni su giornali, inviti a giudicare il lavoro di altri, e coloro che hanno un ingaggio sopra la media. Il visto O1 permette di lavorare in America, ma solo per l'azienda americana che ha sponsorizzato questo visto di lavoro.
Visto P1 per atleti | Visto P-1 | Visto P1A | Avvocato a New York - Il visto P1 è pensato per atleti riconosciuti a livello internazionale che partecipano in una competizione sportiva, singolarmente o in una squadra.
Visto P2 | Visto di lavoro P-2 | Visto artista P2 | Avvocato a New York - Il visto P2 è per artisti o animatori che si recano negli Stati Uniti nell’ambito di un programma di scambio culturale tra organizzazioni estere e organizzazioni americane. Contatta un avvocato a New York per la domanda di visto P2 o altro visto di lavoro.
Visto R1 | Visto R-1 per lavoratori religiosi | Visto USA | Avvocato New York -
Green Card da ricongiungimento familiare | Carta Verde tramite matrimonio - Il modo più comune per ottenere la Green Card è quello tramite ricongiungimento, ovvero sponsorizzazione di un familiare Americano. I tempi di attesa per la cittadinanza americana per parentela variano molto a seconda che si tratti di un coniuge, un figlio adulto o un fratello di un cittadino americano.
Violenza domestica | Green Card VAWA | Avvocato a New York - La Green Card può essere concessa alle vittime di violenza domestica, ossia di gravi abusi domestici (abuso fisico o psicologico) da parte di un coniuge americano o residente permanente.
Avvocato a New York | Immigrazione | Difesa Penale | Diritto Internazionale - Simone Bertollini è un avvocato italiano con uffici a New York e New Jersey che tratta casi d’immigrazione, incluse espulsioni, difesa penale e contenzioso internazionale. La sua inclusione per 4 anni consecutivi tra le “Rising Stars” della rivista “Super Lawyers” lo rende uno dei migliori avvocati italiani a New York.
Cittadinanza Americana | Doppia Cittadinanza | Passaporto Americano - Contatto un avvocato italiano a New York per sapere come ottenere la doppia cittadinanza americana per naturalizzazione, nascita all'estero da genitori americani, o la procedura di naturalizzazione tramite un nonno americano. Scopri inoltre le procedure per l'ottenimento del passaporto americano.
Normativa Fatca per cittadini americani residenti in Italia - Scopri tutte le regole della normativa FATCA per i cittadini americani residenti in Italia, incluse le regole per la rinuncia alla cittadinanza americana.
Difesa casi di espulsione Stati Uniti | Avvocato d immigrazione a New York. - Contatta Simone Bertollini, avvocato d immigrazione a New York, per la migliore difesa tecnica nei procedimenti di espulsione dagli Stati Uniti e assistenza nelle procedure di waiver per coloro che hanno precedenti penali negli Stati Uniti o in Italia.
Asilo Politico negli Stati Uniti | Green Card USA | Avvocato a New York - L’ asilo politico è riservato a cittadini di paesi in stato di guerra o forte instabilità socio politica che possano dimostrare di non poter tornare al proprio paese a causa di grave rischio di morte, tortura o detenzione illegale a sfondo politico.
Visto U per vittime di gravi crimini | Green Card | Avvocato a New York - Il visto U è per vittime di gravi crimini la cui collaborazione nelle indagini delle forze dell’ordine è sostanziale e decisiva. Il visto U è concesso a chiunque, anche a immigrati illegali, e può essere convertito in Green Card.
Difesa Penale Internazionale | Diritto Internazionale Penale | Avvocato - Contatta un avvocato italiano a New York se sei stato arrestato in Italia o all’estero e sei in attesa di estradizione negli Stati Uniti. L’avvocato Simone Bertollini ha le qualifiche e l’esperienza per difendere i casi più complessi di diritto penale internazionale che riguardano Italia e America.
Immigrazione da Investimenti | Visti investitore USA | Avvocato a New York - Se sei interessato ad effettuare un investimento negli Stati Uniti, contatta un avvocato d'immigrazione a New York per scoprire se hai i requisiti per i visti da investitore, come il visto E-1, il visto E-2, o il visto EB5.
Green Card EB5 | Visto EB-5 | Carta Verde EB5 | Avvocato a New York - Il visto EB5 è riservato a coloro che investono 1 milione di dollari in un attività commerciale che creerà 10 nuovi posizioni lavorative per americani. L’investimento può essere di 500.000 dollari se effettuato in aree rurali o zone ad alta disoccupazione.
EB-2 Visa | EB2 Green Card | New York Immigration Attorney - The EB-2 Green Card is for professionals and workers with exceptional abilities that are sponsored by a U.S. company for permanent employment.
H1B Visa Entrepreneurs | self-sponsored H-1B Visa | Immigration Attorney - Speak to an experienced immigration attorney in New York to learn whether you qualify for a self-sponsored H1B Visa for entrepreneurs or a Green Card.
L1 Visa | L-1 Intra-Company Transferee Visa | Immigration Attorney - Speak to an experienced New York Immigration Attorney if you company is applying for an L1 Visa, L-1A or L1B to transfer a manager or employee in the U.S.
TN Visa | TN Visa for Canadians | TN Visa for Mexicans - If you are a citizen of Canada and Mexico with professional qualifications and a job offer from a U.S. employer, you may be eligible to apply for a TN Visa under the NAFTA agreement. Contact an experienced immigration lawyer to learn more!
Family-based Green Card | Green Card through family reunification - Speak to an experienced New York Immigration Attorney if you are a U.S. citizen and want to sponsor a relative for a family-based Green Card.
Visto B1 USA | Visto B-1 B-2 USA | Visto USA | Avvocato a New York - Il visto B1 è concesso a chi si reca negli Stati Uniti per affari, ovvero partecipazione a riunioni di lavoro, convegni, negoziazione di contratti, o acquisto di immobili. Il visto B-2 è di rado concesso a chi vuole recarsi in USA in vacanza per più di 3 mesi. Il diniego di un visto B1 o B2 comporta la revoca dell ESTA
Visto E1 Import Export | Visto E-1 Stati Uniti | Avvocato a New York - Se sei un produttore italiano o imprenditore che vuole esportare il proprio prodotto negli Stati Uniti, contatta un avvocato a New York per tutte le informazioni sull’ottenimento del visto E1 per Import Export tra Italia e America.
Visto E2 da Investitore | Visto E2 USA | Visto E-2 | Investire negli Stati Uniti - Il visto E2 è concesso a coloro che intendono investire negli Stati Uniti in un’azienda attiva ed operante che non generi ricavi marginali, ovvero ricavi appena sufficienti al sostentamento dell'investitore. Generalmente, gli investimenti immobiliari sono considerati "passivi" e non idonei per ottenere il visto E2.
Visto di lavoro USA | Immigrazione di lavoro | Lavorare negli Stati Uniti - Il visto di lavoro negli Stati Uniti è concesso a professionisti, artisti, e personale altamente specializzato che ha un’offerta d’impiego da un azienda americana. Contatta un avvocato italiano a New York per saperne di più sulle varie categorie di visti immigrante e non-immigrante disponibili.
Green Card EB1 | Visto EB-1 | Carta Verde USA | Avvocato a New York - La Green Card EB1 è riservata a individui di straordinarie abilità, professori universitari e managers di aziende multinazionali. Le straordinarie abilità si dimostrano con ricezione di premi, menzioni su giornali e riviste, partecipazione ad eventi di alto profilo, e un alto salario.
Green Card EB2 | Visto EB-2 | Carta Verde USA | Avvocato a New York - Il visto EB2 (Green Card) è riservato a professionisti in possesso di una laurea o un dottorato di ricerca, o alle persone di eccezionale abilità. Coloro che possono dimostrare di poter offrire una contribuzione d’interesse nazionale possono presentare la domanda di visto EB2 senza lo sponsor di un datore di lavoro.
Green Card EB3 | Visto EB-3 | Carta Verde USA | Avvocato a New York - La Green Card EB3 è richiesta da un datore di lavoro americano in favore di lavoratori qualificati, professionisti e altri lavoratori non specializzati. Il datore di lavoro americano deve poter dimostrare di non aver trovato lavoratori americani capaci o disposti ad accettare il lavoro offerto.
Green Card EB4 | Visto EB-4 | Green Card USA | Avvocato a New York - Il visto EB4 è riservato a varie categorie di immigrati speciali, come ad esempio lavoratori religiosi, bambini abbandonati, diplomatici di lunga residenza, e vittime di violenza domestica da parte di un coniuge americano o residente permanente.
Visto H1B | Visto H1-B Stati Uniti | Visto lavoro USA | Avvocato a New York - Il visto H1B è concesso a lavoratori specializzati in possesso di una laurea quadriennale e un offerta di lavoro da parte di un azienda americana.
Visto H2A | Visto di lavoro H-2A | Visto H2B | Visto di lavoro H-2B - Il visto H-2A è concesso a coloro che si recano negli Stati Uniti per lavori stagionali agricoli, mentre il visto H-2B è concesso a lavoratori stagionali di carattere non-agricolo. I visti H2 sono concessi per un massimo di 12 mesi alla volta. Il lavoratore deve poter dimostrare di tornare al suo paese dopo la scadenza
E2 Visa | E-2 Treaty Investor Visa | New York Immigration Attorney - If you are planning to make a substantial investment in the United States, and you are a citizen of one of the Treaty Countries, you may be qualified to get an E2 investor Visa. As a former immigrant and E2 Visa holder, I am an immigration attorney with unparalleled firsthand experience with the Treaty Investor Visa.
EB-5 Green Card | EB5 Immigrant Investor Visa | Immigration Attorney - The EB-5 Green Card is for wealthy investors that are interested in a quick path to permanent residency and U.S. citizenship by investment.
U.S. Citizenship Lawyer in New York | Dual Italian Citizenship Lawyer - If you have been a Green Card holder for 5 years, you may be eligible to become a U.S. Citizen and get an American Passport. U.S. citizens are also allowed to hold Dual Citizenship. I am one of the very few U.S. Citizenship lawyers with firsthand experience with the immigration and citizenship process.
Corporate Immigration | Immigrant & non-immigrant Visa | L-1 Blanket Visa -
Deportation defense lawyer | New York Deportation defense attorney - Call a deportation defense lawyer immediately if you or a loved one have been arrested by immigration authorities or placed in deportation proceedings.
Criminal Immigration Lawyer | Criminal Immigration Attorney - If you are a non-citizen and have been charged with a State or Federal criminal offense, you should immediately contact a criminal immigration lawyer.
Dual U.S. - Italian Citizenship | Dual Citizenship Italy USA | Italian Passport - Dual Italian Citizenship can be claimed by most U.S. citizens of Italian descent. Both Italy and the United States allow Dual Citizenship. Contact our Citizenship Lawyers for assistance in procuring all the Italian and American certificates required to apply for Dual Italian Citizenship and an Italian Passport.
Dual U.S. - Italian Citizenship | Dual Citizenship Italy USA | Italian Passport - Dual Italian Citizenship can be claimed by most U.S. citizens of Italian descent. Both Italy and the United States allow Dual Citizenship. Contact our Citizenship Lawyers for assistance in procuring all the Italian and American certificates required to apply for Dual Italian Citizenship and an Italian Passport.
One and the same person Court order | Amendment of vital records in NY - If you are an applicant for Dual Italian citizenship but have vital records containing one or more discrepancies, contact an experienced attorney to get a "One and the same" person Court order or to amend a birth or death certificate issued in New York or New Jersey.
Employment-based immigration | Immigrant Visas | Non-immigrant Visas - Hire an experienced New York Immigration Attorney if you have been offered a job by a U.S. company and you are in need of an employment Visa or Green Card.
K1 Visa | K-1 Fiancee Visa | New York Immigration Attorney - If you are the fiancee of a U.S. citizen, you can apply for a K1 Visa, which would allow you to enter to the U.S. and get married within 3 months.
Waivers | Immigration Waiver | Form I-601 | New York Immigration Attorney -
Writ of Mandamus | N-400 delays | I-485 delays | Immigration Attorney NY - If your naturalization or adjustment of status case has been delayed, speak to an experienced immigration attorney to file a petition for a Writ of Mandamus
Visto K1 per fidanzati di americani | Visto K-1 fiancé | Avvocato a New York - Il visto K1 è per fidanzati di cittadini americani, (incluse coppie dello stesso sesso) che vogliono entrare in USA per contrarre matrimonio entro 90 giorni. Una volta entrati negli Stati Uniti con un visto K1, verranno concessi fino a 90 giorni per sposarsi e richiedere la Green Card.
Domande frequenti | Immigrazione USA | Avvocato a New York - Le domande più frequenti d’immigrazione americana.
Immigration Law | Business, Employment, Family Visas | Removal cases - Contact a New York Immigration Attorney for qualified assistance with Business Visas, Work Visas, Family Visas, and Deportation defense.
Adjustment of Status | Green Card | US Permanent Residency | Form I-485 - If you are the beneficiary of an immigrant petition, you may be eligible to apply for adjustment of status and become a lawful permanent resident. A Green Card allows a non-citizen to live and work indefinitely in the United States. After 5 years of being a Green Card holder, it is possible to get for U.S. citizenship.
Immigration Appeals | Petition for Review | New York Immigration Attorney - If your immigration case was denied, contact an experienced immigration attorney to file an appeal with the BIA or a Federal Court of Appeals.
Business Immigration Attorney | Business Immigration Lawyer in New York - Speak to a New York Immigration Attorney for complete and personalized Business Immigration solutions to emigrate to the United States on a temporary or permanent basis.
E1 Visa | E-1 Treaty Trader Visa | New York Immigration Attorney - The E1 Visa is for those that are coming to the United States to engage in a substantial, continuous trade between their country and the United States. It does not create a path to U.S. citizenship but there are no limits of extensions that can be requested.
E3 Visa | E-3 Visa for Australian Professionals | Immigration Attorney - As an Australian citizen with a bachelor degree, you could qualify for an E3 Visa to live and work in the United States. Contact us to learn more!
EB-1 Visa | EB1 Extraordinary Ability Green Card | Immigration Attorney - The EB-1 Green Card is for individuals of Extraordinary ability, outstanding university professors and multinational managers immigrating to the United States. Many criteria can be used to prove EB1 extraordinary ability, such as receipt of awards, having judged the work of others, or commanding a high salary.
EB-3 Visa - New York Immigration Attorney - The EB-3 Visa is for skilled and unskilled workers that have an offer of employment from a U.S. company that cannot find American workers available.
O1 Visa Lawyer | O-1 Extraordinary Ability Visa | O1B Artist Visa | 01 Visa - The O1 Visa is reserved to aliens of extraordinary ability, which can be proved with receipt of awards, newspaper or magazine articles about the Visa beneficiary, evidence of having judged the work of others, or evidence of a high salary compared to a peer. Contact an O-1 Visa lawyer for a free eligibility assessment.
P1 Visa | P-1 Visa Internationally Recognized Athlete | Immigration Lawyer - The P1 Visa is reserved to internationally-recognized athletes that are coming to America to perform for a U.S. team in a professional competition.